Ah, PEEPS®! No, not the slang terms for “people” or “friends”, I’m talking about those sugar-coated marshmallow chicks and bunnies that transform for different holidays throughout the year. You know – the squishy marshmallow treats you either love or hate.
PEEPS® are the stuff of legend. According to Wikipedia.com, “PEEPS® are sometimes jokingly described as “indestructible”. In 1999, scientists at Emory University performed experiments on batches of PEEPS® to see how easily they could be dissolved, burned or otherwise disintegrated, using such agents as cigarette smoke, boiling water and liquid nitrogen. They claimed that the eyes of the confectionery “wouldn’t dissolve in anything”. Furthermore, PEEPS® are insoluble in acetone, water, diluted sulfuric acid, and sodium hydroxide.”
– The most popular color for PEEPS® chicks is yellow, followed (in order) by pink, lavender, blue, orange and green.
– It takes 6 minutes to make one PEEPS® chick.
– The number of PEEPS® eaten around Easter each year would span the Earth’s circumference one full time… and then some!
– It would take over 70 million PEEPS® chicks set up head to tail to reach from New York to Los Angeles.
– It would take 172 million PEEPS® bunnies to circle the moon.
Have some left over from Easter? Here are some things to do with them.
– Create a colorful diorama with kids! Come up with a story and create a 3-D scene with PEEPS® as your main characters. Find out how to make a shoebox diorama by clicking HERE
– Joust them! PEEPS® are fun to watch in the microwave – the heat makes them expand in crazy ways. Even more fun, though, is PEEPS® jousting! Get two PEEPS® chicks and place a wooden toothpick in each of their chests, sticking out forward. Place them in the microwave facing each other, about 2 inches apart. Set the timer at one minute and watch them puff up into each other: whichever one makes the first puncture wins!
– Make Smores by substituting a regular marshmallow with an Easter Peep. Nestle your Peep with a piece of chocolate in between some graham crackers and toast for perfection. Call them S’meeps if you want!
– Create PEEPS® Krispy Treats – make Rice Krispy Treats as normal, but use the bodies in the marshmallow mix, then place Peeps chick heads on top of your Krispy squares!
Go to the PEEPS® website
and check out their recipes section for more tasty PEEPS® treats, including Pool Cake, Krispy Bunny Treats, Orange Chantilly Cream-Filled Oranges, Meringue Cups, Yum Yum Platter, Peach Fizz, Chic Lemon Meringue Nests, Chocolate Mousse Dessert, Easter Basket Cake, and Easter Cupcakes.
Happy Peeping – Enjoy!
Do you have a favorite PEEPS® recipe? Share in our Comments Section, or on our Facebook Fan Page by clicking HERE
– Photo: https://www.discoverbuenosaires.com/peeps