For new parents the arrival of the newborn brings a lot of excitement in their lives. They might look fragile and vulnerable, which they are, but there are some surprising things babies can do, much to the delightful fun of many people.
Most babies can do the following surprising things:
1. They can hear everything! Babies hear extremely well: they receive up to 20,000 vibrations per minute, while adults receive only 14,000. The fetus starts to react to sounds since the beginning of the 24th week of pregnancy and a week after delivery they easily distinguish their mother’s voice from the voice of other people.
2. Distinguishing a foreign language. In USA, a test was conducted: a videotape recorded in English but with no sound was played to some babies. Later, another tape with no sound was played, but recorded in French. The babies clearly showed more interest in the French videotape than to the one recorded in English because they considered the English tape familiar. Unfortunately, this ability is lost after the age of 6 months.
Personalized Christmas and birthday gifts are unique and thoughtful! Baby and kids presents provide are an affordable keepsake that will be cherished for years to come! See our personalized gifts at PersonalBabyProducts.com!
3. Prattling with the hands. Studies have shown that babies who grow up confronted with a sign language also try to communicate with their hands. They do it (like in the case of learning foreign languages) slow and unsteady at the beginning-they prattle with the hands!
4. I’m watching you mommy! Long before humans can speak they understand what others say. It seems that babies understand through observing nearby persons. So, mommy, be careful when you say something!
5. The older they are the smarter they get? That’s what you think! Researchers have discovered that as we pass through life we lose some of our abilities, especially the ability of learning. This ability is most effective at the age of 6 months. So, the idea that they are young and they can not or do not know is just an illusion.
6. I’m just like you, daddy! During the first days of life the new generation seems to more closely resemble the father. This is only a joke nature plays: it has decided that so all fathers in the world -long before genetic tests were invented- could recognize their babies and take care of them and their mothers.
7. Little Einstein. Mary has 21 candies and gets another 19. Tommy has 51. Who has more candies?’ Of course, he who knows how to add knows the answer. Here’s what tests say: even some children who do not know how to add can indicate the right answer. They have a great intuition!
8. What are you looking at?! It is not difficult for grownups to distinguish human faces from one another even if they might look alike. However, adults have great difficulty trying to distinguish between two resembling monkeys. Not the same for babies. Tests have proven that they possess this ability, but they lose it in time.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Personal Baby Products by Randesign provides these articles for entertainment, education and engagement only. We are committed to providing families with quality, affordable gifts and presents that are keepsakes that last a lifetime. See our flagship product, Personalized Baby Blankets, personalized t-shirts, nameplates and other items for unique gift ideas for babies and kids!